The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote:Since I put the two bunnies away for the winter I haven't had much to work on.

Looks like I should go find a set of winter tires for the wagon though.
Where's the fun in that? :)
That's the point, I need a make work project or something. :D
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, Green cabby decided to act the ass, and I got it down to the main pump overheating, then dieing.

So I decided to take the plunge and rip out all the old crap and install a single pump conversion following Ron's tutorial.
It was easy. I did learn a new trick on the in-tank pumps. I tied a string around the pump and the strainer to hold it in place
while I inserted it in the tank.... I didn't snap a picture, but I did draw it kinda sorta. Once I had the pump inserted in the tank, and all but locked in, I snipped the string and gently pulled it out...I won't have any more strainer issues.....

Started the car and it wouldn't run,,,, I thought sob did I wire it wrong, then looking back, I didn't plug it in.....
So I turned the key on, and instead of thumb, I heard a whine.... how appropriate for a childs car.

It runs like a graped ape. I used a cheaper pump that was only 55 bucks, but I have 80 in the conversion, that is a lot cheaper than
250, 50, and the cost of that accumulator/filter/sump.

Then I went to close the top, and the passenger handle broke... Dam...... but I had a spare.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Drop the knee bar so I could remove the steering lock it came loose, the snap ring came off the shaft allowing the shaft to move, and the bearing/bushing fell out the bottom of the steering shaft. Now she has new horns, that work only when you push the buttons instead of touching the steering wheel, what a pain in the ass.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Wash and wax, the green Cabby for the daughter, cleaned the headliner and seats.... Left the vacuuming for her.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Wash, wax, the blue one, scrub the white top white again, 303 protect it all, and hit the wheels with SOS pads, place the boot cover up for the winter...

Been a busy couple of weeks at the rancho briano
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Not been too busy car wise around here. At least not our cars. Fixed a few friends cars, but nothing major. Last two weeks of work keeping me busy and then a week & 1/2 off.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Just had to flush and black flush out a Passat heater core, what a royal pain in the arse, it still isn't totally clean, but it is a whole lot hotter than it was.
Briano

eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

The Cabby has ben keeping me plenty busy lately. Had a leaking fuel line at that funky filter expansion tank thing. I decided to replace that and all the rubber fuel line and the regular filter. I droped the tank(I had to swap the rear axel out any way). I could not believe a Cabby uses 9 feet of rubber fuel line to restore the stock setup. While under the car I discovered the trans was leaking. I have that detailed on my other post.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Let's see.... Hang new Starter (green Cabby), New Positive Battery Cables to Starter and Alternator, (green Cabby), new T-stat cover (green Cabby), new to car Power Steering Pump yep you guess it (green Cabby).... other than that.... Not much new.....
Briano

84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984

Post by 84Vert »

Haven't been on in a while so here goes. Needed to change the thermostat and said hey car has been sitting for 8 years we will replace the water pump also. Sounds like a good idea. So every hose I touch is mushy, Iexpected to change those anyhow. Sandy gritty stuff in one of the hoses, yuk! Thermostat housing is in good shape, yeah. Get the water pump and housing off and the housing is toast. Almost corroded thru in a couple of places and 2 of the water pump screws broke off in the housing. On top of that the metal pipe that runs to the heater control decided to join the fun and have some holes in it.

So now I am parts shopping
84 Rabbit Convertible
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Wow, sounds like they were running pure coolant in the system or some form of Acid. It's a bit of work, but nothing that can't be handled with the right parts and some deep breaths.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I got a call on Saturday morning that there were three fresh cabbys at the local Pick 'N Pull. So with tool box in hand I was off.

Sure enough, there were three there. I couldn't believe how good condition they were in. They just shouldn't have been there!

Anyhow, I did find a few good parts on them that I could use. It was amazing to see all the parts "fly" off those three cars. A very sad end to them.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984

Post by 84Vert »

I think I found a water pump base on EBay for $18 plus free shipping. Just need to get mine out of the shed to make sure they are the same.
84 Rabbit Convertible
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

1994 Honda, new Battery, and Radiator, then a set of plugs and gas as "E" don't mean enough. Green Cabby changed the ps pump again, and had to go to Pull-a-part for the power steering adjuster as it departed the car since I last changed it.

Maybe I will get to drive my car one of these days as it has been about a month since I last drove it.

Glad to be back home and on the mend........:)
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Tonight involved a test run of pulling and tearing down the gauge cluster in the A6 in prep for replacing the LCD readout in the center of it. This resulted in the need for a set of easy out's since some one glued the damn screws that hold the cluster in. On the way to get those, we discovered that the Beetle either needs the plugs re-gaped or there's another coil pack on it's way to the dumpster. The good news is, I have 3 spare coils for that damn car and plugs are easy to re-gap. Can't really complain about the beetle though. It's been almost 2 years since it's needed anything.

Top that all off with the A6 is also in need of a new heater core hose which should arrive Monday. Once the hose and LCD are replaced, I have to turn my attention to the PCV system which is causing pressure to build up in the engine and in turn is forcing oil out of the valve cover gaskets. Considering the list of things I've done in the last year to the audi, I can't really complain as I've not yet put 1K into the car.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C