Turbo CIS.....?

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

VWnoob
Perpetual Noob
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Turbo CIS.....?

Post by VWnoob »

Guys, has anyone successfully turboed a vw with CIS?

Just to be sure, when I say CIS, I am talking about the system where the fuel distributor is with the airbox and it uses the engine vacuum to regulate gas. Like my cabby.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... CF0442.jpg

Just wondering.
Thanks.

Jim
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

a company called Callaway used to take some VW's and urbo them. One of the guy's on the rocco list has one and it's done using CIS. The piping is a bit funky and I think there is a special micro-fueler that they used, but I'd imagin that it is very possible and has been done by others. I know it's been done using Digi1 (read 1st gen Digifant) injection.

Here is a pic of the calloway setup that I took at the big rocco gathering in Cincy back in 01' (not great, but gives some idea)

16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Try Steve Langford, I found his pics on the Potters site.

Here is a link:
http://www.parts4vws.com/registry/regis ... CarID=2849

Here is his site with stuff for sale:

http://www.signsandgraphics.com/stevela ... gford.html
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

That is so cool!

Calimus,
So how does it actually work? Does the suction from the turbo itself operate the CIS plate?

Kuklaki, Thanks for the awesome link! I bookmarked that puppy!

At least I know that there is hope for my 8v.

But what do you guys think? Is that a waste of time and $ to invest on my 8v? Or should I just get a 16v then turbo? Or even a G60 Super-C?

Jim
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Looking at Steve's cabby, it is defiantely not a waste. He gets amazing amounts of power out of that little 8V!! But it definately takes a lot of work for upkeep and to make sure you know how to run it properly-it would be a shame to see all that money just to wind up with a blown turbo.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

forced induction of any kind isn't cheap. It's not cheap to setup and it's not always cheap to maintain.

As for how the calloway system works, I'm at a total loss. 4 years ago when I saw that car, I might have looked closer at things had I known then what I know now. But I didn't and I'm at a loss. I'm sure some digging on google could turn up some answers on the calloway system.

From looking at the pic that I posted, the tubo does indeed operate the fuel plate. But I know theres more too it then that. As I said before, I know there is a micro-fueler in that system, though I don't know what it's real purpose it. I'm not a big forced induction fan, I'm very much an all motor type of guy. Though limitations on these engines make FI look very inviting.

What it boils down to is what kind of power are you looking to get. A well built 2.0l 16v puts down some very nice power. If your looking for more, then I would look at going the FI route. Even a 2.0l 8v can put down some great power. My best suggestion is try to find some locals that have these kinds of car/engine configurations and see if they will take you for a ride or even let you drive them. VW car meets are great for that sort of thing and folks are always happy to take someone else for a spin and show off their hard work (or what they payed for someone elses hard work). Not that there is anything wrong with paying someone else to deal with all that crap. Trust me, if I could afford it, I wouldn't be doing all the work I do. 8)
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I would still do it myself. Don't like the thought of anyone else touching my car. People get their cars back and reverse is gone and junk, so I have heard. :-)
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

heres a little info on cis turbos.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1219081
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=565868
do a "cis turbo" search on the vortex, all the info you'll ever want to know.

i hope to do it some day to my cabby. i have a turbo and down pipe setting on my bench, now all i need is the rest of the crap to go with it.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

Calimus wrote: VW car meets are great for that sort of thing and folks are always happy to take someone else for a spin and show off their hard work (or what they payed for someone elses hard work).
Thanks for the info Calimus!
Do you know of a site for a schedule of VW events?

I am stradling the fence on the FI topic. I really want FI but I still want to be smog legal and still original. The options for these lil cars seem to be endless. Just when I think I know what I want, I see another setup that gets me turned to that one! From the research that I have done, there are like 6+ engines and multiple configurations that can be done to them.
Its exhausting..... :shock:

Its funny when friends at work see me driving my cabby every day to work, they ask me why Im driving it and what happened to my Tacoma.
I tell them...nothing, I still have my truck, I just love driving my Cabby!

I guess its something that only we, who own a cabby, will know.

Jim
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

sixsracing wrote:I would still do it myself. Don't like the thought of anyone else touching my car. People get their cars back and reverse is gone and junk, so I have heard. :-)
LOL!!!!! Thats great! I can picture trying to back it up and you think you have it in reverse and all of a suden, you go forward! :lol: :lol:

That has happened to my, I dont know how many times!!!!
When I first got my cabby, I wasnt used to the "backward" reverse by the 1st gear. I almost rear-ended multiple times!

Jim
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

1lowcab wrote:heres a little info on cis turbos.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1219081
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=565868
do a "cis turbo" search on the vortex, all the info you'll ever want to know.

i hope to do it some day to my cabby. i have a turbo and down pipe setting on my bench, now all i need is the rest of the crap to go with it.
DUDE! LOWCAB!
You always seem to have all the answers!!! Love It!!!!

Thanks for the links!

Jim
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

I found a great informative CIS Callaway turbo site.

http://members.aol.com/jlpawlicki/callawayupdate.html

Check it out.

Jim
-vertigo-

Post by -vertigo- »

I have a turbo CIS cabby. My list of mods is far too long to write out so if you have specific questions, I'll be happy to help you out.

But know that it works very well. Although not cheap to build - I'm about $3000 into this - the car is now very reliable and as cheap to maintain as a regular cabby. A substantial portion of that cost is because I blew through Steve Langfords parts in no time and then had to upgrade them.

Of course, it's not as cheap to fuel. Boost is addictive and you really need run 91/93. Doubling the stock horsepower means you end up with a very fun car.
(no longer a registered user)
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

-vertigo- wrote:I have a turbo CIS cabby. My list of mods is far too long to write out so if you have specific questions, I'll be happy to help you out.

But know that it works very well. Although not cheap to build - I'm about $3000 into this - the car is now very reliable and as cheap to maintain as a regular cabby. A substantial portion of that cost is because I blew through Steve Langfords parts in no time and then had to upgrade them.

Of course, it's not as cheap to fuel. Boost is addictive and you really need run 91/93. Doubling the stock horsepower means you end up with a very fun car.
Vertigo, Thanks for the info. Ill keep you in mind if and when I begin the journey to FI.
Do you have any pics of your car and engine?

Jim
-vertigo-

Post by -vertigo- »

Pease do keep me in mind.

I don't have any recent pics of the engine but I intend to take some over the weekend as some more changes are coming online. Right now it looks just like a regular CIS JH engine with some extra electronics, two extra pipes and a bunch of blue vacuum lines.

Will see if I cna get this work done and then I'll post some pics. Praying for good weather...
(no longer a registered user)