New Member - -Two for the Money

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

randy1234
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: New Member - -Two for the Money

Post by randy1234 »

Thanks Briano,

I am sure that it will be at least a week or so before I am able to get this far- -Still waiting for the ordered parts and the Bentley manual.

I was hoping to try the cheater method first- -release the tension, cut the belt in half long-ways, and slip the new one on- -probably all wishful thinking, but a guy can hope. . .

I did see that they sold a special bolt and cam hold down kit for this, but I heard that other items would work. One concern is in removing the gear from pump- -I think this is an area that I could screw things up with timing and interference. I will try to progress very carefully at this point and scribe all marks needed. I will go with your advice in every area- -I guess I will have to spend the money for the dial gauge.

I saw different motor mounts for sale, and complete kits to replace all of them- -this may be on the next order along with the upgraded valve cover kit. I was a little confused because some of the kits specified a 6mm bolt and I did not know if there was a different specific valve cover gasket for the 1.5 diesel?? The head was replaced about 5-8000 miles ago and looks good, but this was 10 years ago. The car sat for quite a while.

I took off the starter today- -again surprised by the tool needed to remove the starter bolts- -don't think me to much-the-hack, but I was able to break the bolts free with a large pair of vise grips!- -could not find the right size hex head. . .

Been pretty cold up here, so I spent time reading about adjusting the valves clearance. I will check this while I have the engine out.

One question that I am hoping to find what I want to hear. The transmission on the gas engine- -a five speed connected to a 1.6 gas engine- -seems to be in much better shape than the 5-speed connected to the diesel. So I am planning to use the gas transmission to the diesel engine. I have read differing opinions. . .Any advice??

Randy
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

http://www.a2resource.com/eandt/ratios.html

There ya go...

I had a 4 speed on mine when I ordered it, I thought that the final drive ratio difference didn't make it worth 500 bucks.
Later on I had the chance to hang a 5spd on it, and to be honest, I don't think it got any better mileage. 45 in town, 50-55 on the highway.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
randy1234
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by randy1234 »

Thanks again Briano!!! I have a feeling that I have already said this a hundred times.

I have heard of this list - -spoken of in hushed and reverent tones- -and I will mark this so I can check it.
I believe I will run the gas trans. looks pretty close.

odd question. I thought I posted in the "this week in car repair" section and I cannot find it. Just wondering if my mind is going or if I posted somewhere else in this forum- -sorry.

Hoping I can get some done this weekend. My box-o-parts came yesterday, and the bentley came also!!!!

Sure appreciate everything!!

Randy