The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by Briano1234 »

Yes, I have read about that way, but alas, and forlorn, it were a 78 SB with Fuel Injection, and the Injector Throttle body was preventing me from getting in to the left two bolts in the fan shroud. Even trying to lift the Air box the throttle body was still hiding the bolts.
Then I would of neva been able to break the nut loose as some previous ass clown put at least 100 ft lbs of torque... Had to take it to my fav-o-rite muffler shop and 3 seconds with a air impact....

I went out to Samba, and the tex, and other air cooled sites, and all of a sudden one ofthe posters said 78 SB FI? Drop the engine is the only way...

After looking at it, Yep, FI SB have a lot to be said for and against... :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Oneabsolute
What year is your cabby?: 1988

Post by Oneabsolute »

Ah, okay. I've never messed with the FI air-cooleds.
'72 Westy
'74 Super Beetle
'81 Rabbit vert
'86 Scirocco
'88 Cabriolet
'91 GLI
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

You have to remember, when Dr. Porsche designed the thing, the idea was you'd run it for 100,000 miles, then drop the whole engine and plug in a new one if the rest of the car was still in good enough shape. It was supposed to be cheap, simple transportation for the common man. The idea that people would be trying to keep these cars on the road for 40+ years probably never occurred to him; it'd be like expecting to see someone still driving a Geo Metro in 2029.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:You have to remember, when Dr. Porsche designed the thing, the idea was you'd run it for 100,000 miles, then drop the whole engine and plug in a new one if the rest of the car was still in good enough shape. It was supposed to be cheap, simple transportation for the common man. The idea that people would be trying to keep these cars on the road for 40+ years probably never occurred to him; it'd be like expecting to see someone still driving a Geo Metro in 2029.
Or a Yugo......

On a side note the beetle is gone out of my garage, the happy owners left with it tonight.. I thought that I would have to drop the engine again but it turned out to be the alternator shim for the pull wasn't out far enough so I had to make a shim to get the fan pulley from grinding the case of the alternator......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, driving in the rain yesterday, after leaving my window down, and it started to pour....

I noticed that with the a/c on my alternator was a little lower than it should be.. Headlights, defroster, a/c.... @ 12v

So today I move the cars around and figure I will tighten the belt.. Turn on the car and the a/c and it went to 11.9, defroster took it to 11.5 then the headlights said whoa nellie..

Take the alternator off, and run it to Pep-boys and the Alternator is fine... 85amps @ 13.85V.

So I buy new ground cables..

I decided to take the cover off the timing belt I see a belt that needs to be replaced.. it has micro cracks, and a imprint of the tensioner on it...

So only Pep-boys has the Tensioner, I have to get the Belt from Advanced. (Napa didn't have a tensioner in stock at the wharehouse..go figure)

But I found that the o-ring for the water pump has a bazillion number, and pep's didn't have one for my 93 but they had one for a 84GTI so I bought it,... and Danged if that ain't the same one..

So the part is a ROL gasket
number 25598
or
wo 8404-001

From ROL gaskets all the cross refs
WO8404
Ajusa 16054000

Beck-Arnley 0374295
039-0033

Corteco 11140-1

DC Gasket ES91830

Fel-Pro 25598

McCord 74-0066
74-0096

OEM 4200156
B5A77362B
B5A7736B
B5AZ7A294
B5AZ7A294A
B5AZ7A29A
W403

Robertshaw 53093

Stant 25269
Victor Reinz C20119

I cross checked the number to napaonline and advance, and it is the same part number for most rabbits gols and a ton of others including Gremlins.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Man you could have left the gremlin off the list. Sickens me to thing there is actualluy a part from these cars that can be shared with a ford, lol

As for the grounds, here is what I've done Brian. Advanced sells a nice 01 neg batt cable and terminal. Rather then go to the body with it, I go to one of the front tranny bolts. I then replace the skimpy granding strap that goes from the back of the tranny to the frame rail with another 01 cable. Can you say no more grounding issues? :mrgreen:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Man you could have left the gremlin off the list. Sickens me to thing there is actualluy a part from these cars that can be shared with a ford, lol

As for the grounds, here is what I've done Brian. Advanced sells a nice 01 neg batt cable and terminal. Rather then go to the body with it, I go to one of the front tranny bolts. I then replace the skimpy granding strap that goes from the back of the tranny to the frame rail with another 01 cable. Can you say no more grounding issues? :mrgreen:
I have actually run new cable to the ground point, and to the tranny.. I have .005 ohms from one end to the other.
I have the new timing belt on, and the car runs like crap, so tomorrow I will get to static timing everything then fine tuning. The water pump bolts soaked over night in pb-blaster and with the 1/2 cheater and binding it against the crank pulley they didn't stand a chance. and when I screwed them out the pb-blaster had worked all the way through... that was really nice to see.

When i did have it running the charge indicator, is showing like 12v.... which is low, so when I get it timed I will take the battery in to be checked as they said that the Alternator is good....

I mean there ain't that much to the circuit..... and from the engine to the pos when the negative was connected I was only loosing .005V.... so that is really fine..

isn't it always something.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I finally got it running again, after replacing the timing belt..... I couldn't get it to time fer spit. It was not starting, or by moving the dist I could get it running at 1200rpm... So I was bs'ing with Ron, who had the hall sender timing setup... Verified that I was in time physically, then rotated the car to 6 BTDC and set the dist...It was great almost better than using a dwell or a light on my old MG's..... start it and it wouldn't flucking run.....

Well much to my Chagrin...........I had forgot to plug in the Maf Sensor..............SOM BITCH..... Plugged it in and shit it ran like a graped ape. Checked the timing and it was rock had at 6 BTDC............Sweetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt..............

THank you RON
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

mmm torque perverter seal and new torque pervertor.... oh and a little bit of paint.

Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I swear, I just crack up every time I see the big gold tranny :mrgreen:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

Pimp My Transaxle
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Had a bitch of a time getting it back up and in the car... then I saw the error of my ways..... One of the torque converter tabs or pads was lined up and binding on my timing marks on the flex plate... had to loosen all the bolts and jack the tranny apart a bit, then using my bfh smack that pad off the timing mark bar.... I was glad mbfo (my big fantastic offspring) came home in time to hold the engine by the crank bolt whilst I beat the pad off the mark....

Action called on account of darkness......Tomorrow the starter is all that is left to do......
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well different week repeat, pulled the tranny again yesterday.... why because I dinged the seal...

I am really pissed at Autozone......
I ordered a Seal on Monday, along with a seal kit, and the kit wouldn't be delivered till yesterday at 12.
I said so just leave the seal here and I will pick it up together.... Pulled the tranny and was done by 12, go to AutoZone....
Seal kit but no seal.... they can't find it, so they said we will order a new one and it will be here by 4.... Gee a 4 hour wait.....
Go pick up the seal and the box was greasy, the seal while not installed had greasy marks all over it... I was PISSED.
It was the only one in town.....

But I have my revenge.....I will never buy from them again, and I wrote a nasty gram and phoned the District Manager about the shabby crappy
crap they pulled. Plus I get to post my revenge on all the BB that I subscribe to....
Briano

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

It has been relativly peacful for me of late. But I fear it has come to an end.

A friend came over and we 1, replaced the timing belt on Topless Bunny, and we upgraded the alternator on his '85 Cabby to a 90 Amp. version.

No problem for two weeks when he has charging issues.

The threads in the alt housing (where the tensioning bolt goes) were stripped.

Replaced the alt and he was on the way.

I went to buy some wood for a back yard project, the lumber store is right beside a tire store. As I was in the parking lot, a kid working at the tire store backs a customer's car out of a parking spot as I pass by...

Well my Jetta has a few scratches on the side, but the Thunderbird that was backing up wasn't so lucky, with a smashed tail light and a hole in the bumper.

I have to admit the manager of the tire store has been very good, and they are going to repair the Jetta.

Now comes the pile of maintenance that is due :( The Jetta needs routine oil change, the Golf needs the summer wheels installed, and low and behold the Golf gets a CEL :shock: .

All this takes the time I want to put into working on the project car.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

CalAltaDubber wrote:. As I was in the parking lot, a kid working at the tire store backs a customer's car out of a parking spot as I pass by...

Well my Jetta has a few scratches on the side, but the Thunderbird that was backing up wasn't so lucky, with a smashed tail light and a hole in the bumper.
Don't feel too bad, My wife backed into a building once, "I didn't see it." Well it was a rather small 3 story 150 year old drugstore....:)
Briano