Bad Gaskets Bad Gaskets

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Bad Gaskets Bad Gaskets

Post by Briano1234 »

A while back I bought a new valve cover gasket one piece from Moogie on Ebay, it rocked..... so I thought.

Well it was really flimsy and I should of glued it down.....

So I ordered that and a new tranny gasket from German Auto Parts.

So I decided to clean the valve cover and paint it 3 coats of flat black followed by 3 coats of satin clear...

Well I spose it was too much, as it bubbled and looked like crap, so strip it all off... sand and prime it again...

Now I said f-that and shot it 2 coats of gloss black.
I painted the valve cover bars mmm Gold.

The new gaskets arrived and I took them out of the package, and the one -piece Valve Cover gasket was sooooo pretty. Unlike the Ebay it was metal covered in rubber wouldn't bend so I figured it couldn't slip, and it fit the front like a glove. I applied a thin coat of RTV (just in case).

The difference is remarkable.. as the metal re-enforcement to the gasket was totally around the entire gasket save for the cam hump....

After getting that back on and the new oil pan gasket... Letting it sit at a angle all night no more oil dripping...... I hope... It ran like a top...

Today after baking in the sun, I am driving my Son and a friend to Lake Lanier Islands for a bit of fun before school resumes Monday... Thank God for school.

The moral of the story, if you are replacing the gasket with a one-piece buy it from German Auto parts..... you will be happier.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Bad Gaskets Bad Gaskets

Post by kamzcab86 »

Briano1234 wrote:The moral of the story, if you are replacing the gasket with a one-piece buy it from German Auto parts..... you will be happier.
Ditto! 8)

And, Brian's copying me! Rubber gaskets from GAP and painting the valve cover a shiny black!! This just ain't right, ain't right at all! :P :P
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Bad Gaskets Bad Gaskets

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote:
Briano1234 wrote:The moral of the story, if you are replacing the gasket with a one-piece buy it from German Auto parts..... you will be happier.
Ditto! 8)

And, Brian's copying me! Rubber gaskets from GAP and painting the valve cover a shiny black!! This just ain't right, ain't right at all! :P :P

Well, I did have it a real purty satin black, and it looked like velvet....
After it lifted, I said f-that.... but my cover bars are gold... and that makes it all worth while.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Thanks for the tip Willam takes care of my parts ordering because I am spoiled like that, but I have always had a little bit of problem with slight leakage with the gaskets. Maybe one of these will help it seal a little better.

And for the record my valve cover is silver, Kammy. So you dont have to worry about too many Princess clones out there 8)
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Unfortunatly, Crabby suffers from a slightly warped valve cover. Which is fine as doublestacking 2 cork gaskets did the trick the last time around.

I tried the corrado gasket a long time ago on the red cabby, that failed misserably even though I had the spacers for where the bolts went throught. Oh well.

So far, since the last time I put Crabby back together after the cam install, no leakage of oil.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C