Introduction

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Jenny
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Introduction

Post by Jenny »

Hi,
Im new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jenny, I own an 89 Cabriolet, black on black. I bought it at the beginning of this summer. It leaks water alot when it rains, to the point were the carpet has been torn out. If you have any suggestions as to what i can do to fix it please let me know.
Thanks
Jenny
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hi Jenny, and welcome to TRF. :)

Sounds like you have a nice looking car. Please post a picture of it, (if I don't ask the admin lady will).

Where exactly is the car leaking? The reason I ask is that there are several adjustments that can be made to stop the leaks.

The main ones being the ecentric bolts on either side of the roof frame.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

First and fore most were is it leaking, around the doors at the top or running down the windows and as your holes are plugged coming in under your door card?

Are your rain tray drains clean?

There are holes in the bottom of the door that pass the water out that cmes down your scrapers if they are old and crap like most of ours.

So you may want to remove your door cards and check the bottom of the door, if there is a lot of shit like broken glass and old dead cardboard they could be what is wrong, this is the same on the back glass too.

as that is where they usually leak.......Then if your moisture barrier isn't in place, that could be the other reason.

I forgot the biggie, that is why the lower edges of doors tend to rust out, because the drains are plugged full of stuff, and they never get to dry out.

if your doors are sagging you can open the doors, and check to see that the hinges are both plumb, you can try using a level but it is really tight.

I removed the door and used my rotating laser level, that did a couple of things, not only could I shoot a leve line horizontal but also vertical, and that mad moving the hinges really easier.. that and my 12inch cresent and 5 foot cheater...

Then from there I had to realign the catch as well as the window glass and window stop to get a totaly tight seal to the window, it is that tight seal that prevents water from coming in on your knee.

When you pop your top it is supposed to be between an inch and a inch and a half from the seal.

The seal wipers should be cleaned along the run of the windshield I use WD-40 on a rag with my finger to make sure that the seals are clean I then use vasoline to keep them fresh and limber.

When the top is closed there isn’t any gap in the leading edge of the top and the seal.

When the top is closed the finger wiper on the door Vent should seal tight to the upper windshield frame (sorry for the inverted pic, but as black on black is hard to see.).

Along the top of the window when it is closed the glass should seal completely to the
Middle of the frame seal at all points.

To adjust the seals to the outer side of the channel, you will have to open the top and remove the lead screw on the top front edge of the weather strip, and then using a large flat blade screwdriver slip it between the edge of the seal tray and pry the seal out like a bike tire.

You will see about 5 other screws there. If they are centered in the tray then you can loosen them and move the seal tray to the outer extreme of the frame almost smack up to the plastic frame cover. You can’t move the Front Screw any. If your seal tray won’t budge then your closed cell foam underneath of it is turned to goober…remove the tray and clean the crap off the tray and the frame, and go back with new ½ inch wide ¼ inch tall foam (available at most hardware stores).

You might also check the thread for installing the rain gutters that I did a while back.

If your door frame isn’t square, then that is one cause of the window not to seal tight at the leading edge of the vent. You can try to reposition the door by moving the door on the hinges, or you can also try to adjust the window stop.

Remove the door card and roll the window up and down, in the middle of the mechanism there is a 10mm bolt that is in a sliding round washer… that is in a slot on the frame. This is the stop. Loosen it and adjust it so that the glass can go up further to the seal.. (warning mark it first) a little adjustment goes a long way.

I have found that when folks replace the tops, they center the seal trays to the frame, and that is fine except that it may not be correct for your top. I know that I did on my first cabby and that I ended up moving them to the outside edges.. I got a better seal and I didn’t need the rain gutters any more….

Drain hole on the bottom edge of the door (note the rubber plug is still in my door)

Check your rain tray drains,,, that is a big common area or leakage as if they are full then water can back up into the heater box and into the passenger side floor
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Hi, Thanks for the responses and all the info. I will hopefully get a chance to take a closer look at the specific problems this weekend. For those of you who wanted to see it here it is..... just as a warning it could use a paint job!

kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Nice Cabby you have there. Glad the guys prompted you to post a photo before I had a chance to get after you for it.
Do my eyes deceive me or do I see crosshairs?? :shock: Did you do that? I love the black bunnies!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

It does look very nice.

Don't worry too much about the paint. I just bought one that looks like it is sick.

Well it is, I just need to get to work making a nice car out of it again.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Thanks, Yes those are cross hairs, I didnt do it the guy who owned it before me did, but I just love them. They are one of my favorite parts about that car. Not really sure if this one will ever end up looking decent because of me. I really want an '87 Wolfsburg with the brown paint and tan top, leather interior etc.
But I like what I've got until then.
maushaus

Post by maushaus »

she is very nice...i think the black cabriolets are pretty snappy...good luck with it...

peace, kelly
"Mice used to live in it...now I drive it"
87 Cabriolet
webrik

Post by webrik »

hello ...jenny..

verry nice your cab ...

For your problem of sealing, here another technique if the solution of Briano1234 does not function….
But it is in French!!
The easy way is to place cement silicone on the joint….

here :

http://www.golf1cabriolet.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

Normally just looks the pictures at is enough to include/understand or then tests google translator?