Ok need your help naming this tune.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Ok need your help naming this tune.

Post by gull »

Where did it break? If it's at the handle, you could try grabbing the stub end with vise grips. Otherwise it's going to have to be by snagging the latch lever from underneath or through the grille, I think...
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:Where did it break? If it's at the handle, you could try grabbing the stub end with vise grips. Otherwise it's going to have to be by snagging the latch lever from underneath or through the grille, I think...
Didn't break so to speak, it came out of the handle what I didn't know till my other cabby appeared was that the cable sheath fits into the handle stop to hold the inner in.

To pop the hood a flat blade screw driver and it is under the very top slat of the grille. It was painless.
Putting the cable back in the handle was an exercise in contortion, sweating, and cursing.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull

Post by gull »

Briano1234 wrote:To pop the hood a flat blade screw driver and it is under the very top slat of the grille. It was painless.
I will file that information away for future use. ;)

Also, I think I'm going to grease my hood latch this weekend. It's stiff and I don't want to suffer the same fate.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Been researching the interweb,,,,, and a couple of sites said, that vw's and bad wheel bearings can cause a whomp whomp sound and simulate a out of round tire. So It looks like the bearings that are on order will be replaced to end my Italian Racing noise.....

Oh, and since the top needs to be replaced, my Baby Daughter will be buying it... :) It was from AAbestco, but trying to find a now defunct company for warranty refund........

Maybe I can get her to buy the Paint to Spray the Fender after it is replaced?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
gull

Post by gull »

Come to think of it, my bad front wheel bearing made a cyclic roaring sound. Sort of a "WUH-WUH-WUH" that got distinctly louder when I turned a corner with the bad one on the outside. I could feel it through the floorboard, too. It made no noise when spun unloaded on the rack so it took a couple tries to convince a mechanic that I really did have a bad one.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The wheel bearing was sooooooooo bad, that as soon as I got the axle nut off, I tapped the axle to the rear, and the hub and bearings shot all over the floor............. Pressing the old one out was a pain, but when pressing the new hub in, it was a bit of a beatch, so I took it all apart, and the bearing was compressing the hub steel by a good thumbnail etching. Decided that isn't right so buy a new bearing and
get a new hub. Will be sending back the other hub with a bottle of "ex-lax".
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Found out from the machine shop that the "new hub" was wrong, it is .10 over the size to go in to the bearing, so he had to order a new one. No wonder why I had issues pressing it in.

Called the interweb company, and gee it went overseas..... I should get a refund for the hubs, but I am hanging them on the bearing.

I go and take the struts off the front, and swap them out, well I put it all back together, loosed the clamps, and shoot if I didn't forget the dust boot..........(dumbass)....
I take it all apart again, and put the dust boot on, then reassembled it, and was starting to loosen the clamps, and look down, and see the strut bearing staring back at me..... (double dumb ass to me). Now I have to take it all apart again..... After about 2 hours, both struts are on the car, and am waiting to see if I can get the spindles today, the part has to come all the way over from Marietta......

Then I still have to get it aligned.

Did you ever have one of those days....Now you see the relevance of my signature.

CarParts Wholesale was the vendor, and if you ever ever see REPV283703 for a hub number be afraid, be very afraid.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I've had entirely too damn many of those types of day's Brian. It's looking like the A6 is getting hungry for parts again. The rear end has been sagging lower and lower over the last few months and I know the rear shocks are hanging in there for all they are worth, but holding up a ton of car for 8 years has got to take it's toll. To make matters worse, I'm fairly positive that the rear differential mount is the original and has announced it's retirement. I've gotten an excessive amount of drive line slop over the last two weeks and that's pretty much the last mount that I haven't replaced.

The bitch is that the diff mount costs as much as a set of Bilstien sport shocks. So Double dumbass to you is more like double screw me, lol. I'm starting to think that Cristine is right. The rings in the Audi logo are actually the zero's at the end of every repair cost :mrgreen: :screwy: :banghead:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Finally got it out for a test spin and hear a scraping... Jack it up, pull the tires okay, readjust the dust shield
start it up and hear a scraping....

Take the passenger side spindle all apart, and then look and see it was the drive shaft rubbing the frame with no push from the tire.........(triple dumbass). Took it to get it aligned, and it rides so purty....
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Drive it to the office, and be damned if the Alternator ain't putting out 12V.

Got the belt replaced.

Here are some of the bad pics.

Eff China
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Interesting Side note. I was talking with my Brother who asked me how the hubs worked, when I told him where they were shipped out of, he said.......... That's JC Whitney..........
I said SHEEEEEEEEEEIT that splains it.
Briano