Additional interior entry lights

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

GreenCabbie
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Additional interior entry lights

Post by GreenCabbie »

This old guy loves his Green Cabbie but sure would like some additional entry lights at night. The small light above the mirror works but more light for these eyes would be great .

Has anyone installed additional entry lights that light up the floors ? Or replaced the existing light with a better one ? I've looked at autozone but their selection S#$Ks.

What would be the best way to wire them to the door switches? One on each door? What lamps could be used ? I've always thought simple was better ! While we carry flashlights with us it would be helpful if we didn't have to use them!

As you can see I have more questions than answers and appreciate all your help?

Thanks for any ideas.

GreenCabbie
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Additional interior entry lights

Post by CalAltaDubber »

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Last year I did use a string of LEDs for a variation of sex lights in the cubby in the centre console. but they work in conjunction with the dash lights.

It shouldn't bee too hard to set up lights from the door switches. I will spend some time tonight to reserch that part.

I figure the same set of LEDs woild be good and they should mount easy to the bottom of the knee bar.

I'll try to figure something for this time tomorrow.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

As Promised, here is a possability that will work.

First, you will need a string of LED lights something like this.
This is a string of 24 LEDs that are powered by 12 VDC.
They come in Red, Yellow ore Blue. For some strange reason, the blue cost about $5 more than the red or yellow.
If you are in Canada they are available at Princess Auto.

They are easy to install, just some super glue to the bottom of the metal part of the knee bar.

For the electrical, here is part of the wiring diagram.

At the bottom of the page, just right of centre, locate current track 60.
Look up and you will notice the "Door Contact Switch, Left Front. This is where the ground is applied to operate the dome light.
There are two wires on the switch, one Brown with a white stripe, the other is grey.
Splice the Negative (-VE) side of the wires from the LEDs to the Brown wire I just mentioned.
Here is a picture of the switch with the brown wire (the gray wire is missing in the picture).
You will have to find some way of feeding the -ve wire through the door frame it is a very tight fit.

The other side of the connection is much easier. All you need to find is positive (+VE) 12 VDC to splice into. This needs to be one of the 12 VDC wires that are always live and not through the ignition switch. These wires are usually RED in colour. Since the dome light is tied to the same fuse as the radio, I suggest splicing into the red wire for radio power.

To do the passenger side, just route the wires for the LEDs that are mounted on that side and splice the wites for the driver side one. Remember to splice the negative to to the negative and positinve to positive.

This was a little quickly put together, or I would have used better photos.
Hope this helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
GreenCabbie
What year is your cabby?: 1992

Post by GreenCabbie »

:D Thanks for the guidance, I see the how this will work and will give it a go. The pictures were really helpful.