installing a A/C cut out switch.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

installing a A/C cut out switch.

Post by Briano1234 »

How to install a a/c compressor cut out switch in your Cabriolet.

Parts needed, one butt connector one female insulated spad connector 8 inches of wire.
One lighted accessory switch (3 leads) Doorman Conduct-Tite blue pn Part Number: 85922

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Produc ... Code=3063B

Disconnect the negative lead on the battery.

Remove the switch covers for the headlights, and the switches
Remove the heater control knobs
Remove the fascia.
That is remove the radio, the heater control fascia, the heater blower switch,
Emergency flasher switch the defroster switch, the head light switch, disconnect the parking brake/seat belt warning light.
Remove the 3 top screw for hte fascia surround, and the 3 lower screws on the fascia surround

Carefully remove the fascia surround from the dash.

Remove the 2 screws that hold the heater control selector assembly to the dash.

Carefully you can move the assembly.
On the right side of the heater control you will find the white switch with the red/black wires one on top and one on the bottom. Remove both wires.
On the back side of the control unit cut the wire-tie that holds the switch wires to the control unit.

Carefully pull the wires to the left side of the assembly and to the switch connectors.

Now take one of the blanks out. Carefully using a hack saw, saw the raised portion off , this will open a hole in the plate to allow the switch to
be inserted.

Insert the Switch into the new blank hole.

Strip of 1/4 insulation from a 6" piece of wire.
Crimp the female spad connector.

Find the little brown wire from the 4-way flasher lamp.

Go about 4 inches back from the connector and cut the wire in two.

Strip both ends of the wire 1/4 inch.

Using the butt connector attach the gnd lead for the new switch to the brown wire that goes back to the loom and crimp.
Crimp the brown lead from the 4way into the other free end of the butt connector.

Replace the fascia and connect all the switches.

Pull the 3 new wire out

On the switch you will see 3 pins labeled +12v acc switch +12v and the last one is ground.

Place either of the red/black tracers on switch at either of the 12V points.

Attach the Gnd spad to the switch.

Touch the neg battery cable to the post.

Turn on the keyswitch.

Turn on the fan to level 1

If the switch isn't lit, then turn it on. The lamp should light and the a/c clutch will engage and the radiator fan will turn on,

Now orientate the switch so that when it is on, it is pushed in to the right. Insert the blank (with swich ) in the holder. replace the cover plate.

Tighten the Negative Battery lead.

Hurrah Now you can turn on or off the a/c compressor, works great on cold days.....to have heated defrost only....
GreenCabbie
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: installing a A/C cut out switch. I must have screwed up

Post by GreenCabbie »

Hi Briano,

I put the a/c cut out switch in as you outlined and took the cab out for a test drive and it worked mostly. :wink: I could not get the fan to operate in the number 4 position. The number three position was the highest. Whereas it did before go into the no 4 position. And I also had trouble when I turned the blower switch on and off with a/c switch on. The 20 amp fuse for the blower blew. Why would it do that?

Should I go to 25 amp fuse for the blower circuit? :?

What did I do wrong?

I also created another problem with the Haz Warning Switch. It won't work. I can run the car with the switch in a neutral position if I change the position of the HWS then the turn signals light on the dash shines solid and the turn signals don't work. If I put the HWS in an "on" position the turn signals work but the light for the HWS doesn't come on. Any ideas on this one would be appreciated as well. :)
I know this one is all my doing I just can't figure it out. I have a feeling it might be in the HWS , the indicator light seems loose to me a doesn't come at the HWS when I move the switch back and forth.

Thanks,
GreenCabbie
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Re: installing a A/C cut out switch.

Post by Briano1234 »

You blew a few fuses in the fuse box. The turns are controlled by the hazard switch, and moving the switch you probably shorted the Gray/blue to gnd as it is hot
and toasted the fuse. This could also account for the blown blower fuse, as I have done this on 3 different cabby's and had no issues,
Also if you have a lamp circuit that is separate from the switch (illuminated switch) when you turn it on you usually short it to ground and that blows the fuse.
So replace the fuses, take the wire off the light on the a/c cutout, and see what gives.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
GreenCabbie

Post by GreenCabbie »

I'll give it a try . Makes sense. So I unnderstand better. Does the turn signal switch circuit run thru the HWS ? So if the fuse for the HWS is out the turn signal light will only glow solid? That's what it is doing?

I pulled the wires off the ac cutoff switch and put them back on the air distrubutor contacts. It worked but still no no 4 speed in the fan selector switch. I am thinking this speed is only available in the heating mode? Or am I wrong?

I really would like to have the ac cutout switch work!!!!! I am a little hesitant to put the ac cutoff switch back in the operation because of the blown blower motor fuse? I haven"t changed anything. I guess I could try it again.

Thanks again for the help, I am a very patient person but after a few hours of working on this I have to walk away and get my head back together. These things seem so straight forward to me with your directions. I have a background in working in electrical control circuits .

GreenCabbie
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The Turn Signal circuit uses the 4-way hazard switch, so if the Hazard switch is bad it effects your turns too.
One sign that the fuse is gone is a solid glowing turn light.

The 4th speed blower position is solely on the a/c relay, it isn't related to the other 4 positions at all. Check all your fuses, as in the 30Amp a/c fuse.

pre90

post 90

The Tun signal switch 89 but you get the idea
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
GreenCabbie

Post by GreenCabbie »

You know Briano you a pretty smart guy.
I did have trouble with the Hazard warning switch. I can't get it to work . When I turn the HWS off the turn signals work. When I turn it on nothing happens. Meaning the indicator light on the switch doesn't work nor do the lights flash. So I bought a replacement that I thought was the right part . It had a part no 161953 235 B my original had a part no 161953235 A. It has the same plug configuration but won't work. So not knowing if that B vs A is critical I am taking it back to see if I can get the exact right part no. Does that make sense or could it be something else. I checked the HWS fuse and it was OK.

I'll check the 30 Amp a/c fuse. I wonder sense I pulled the servo off on the Fresh air recirculating vent to put in the center vent servo since it was bad if that has anything to do with why the fan won't run in 4th speed? Look at the fresh air fan switch connected at H5 on the ac relay on your wiring diagram. Make any sense? I have another servo for the fresh air recirculating vent enroute.

Thanks again for the help,

GreenCabbie
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The servo isn't electrical at all.

There are only 2 electrical connectors on the heater assembly. The a/c thermo-switch that is on the left with the tube sticking out, then there is the
a/c switch on the right that you moved off to the switch.

The fan switch connector while tie-wrapped to the control panel isn't connected electrically to it wither.

I think you have but a couple of blown fuses.... Use a meter to test them, don't trust your eyes, unless you fuses that glow when they are bad.
Briano