windshield washer pump

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cwingerter
What year is your cabby?: 1989

windshield washer pump

Post by cwingerter »

Hmm - well my wipers work fine (even on intermittent) and I can't hear the pump engage when I pull back on the stalk, so I'm assuming the pump has burned out. The fluid line seems fine, free of leaks, and had a good seal at both ends.
I've already got a new pump and seal on its way for a swap, so the question is are there any surprises ahead for this swap?
Bentley's has very little on the subject and the Haynes is even less helpful.
Hint's, tips, and suggestions welcome.
--89 White Cabriolet--aka the White Shadow
Bugly

Re: windshield washer pump

Post by Bugly »

I also had the same problem. Replaced the pump to no avail :banghead: When I pull back on the switch for the washer & wipers I get nothing, but if I unplug the pump, the wipers will come on in the wash position :?: My next thought is to replace the wiper motor but have not done so as of yet :|
'89 cabby
'94 jet R.I.P.
'02 gti 1.8 turbo
'92 F150 4X4 (VW rescue vhicle)
'99 red jet IV
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by sixsracing »

The pumps do go bad occasionally. I have had similar problems with the switches in the column. The columns are easy enough to disassemble. Do not replace the switch though. Usually you can clean up the contacts with electrical cleaner or if real bad then use a pencil eraser. Nothing on my column worked when I got mine so I cleaned everything and has worked so far. That was 4 or 5 years ago.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
gull

Post by gull »

I would disconnect the electrical connector at the pump and connect a test light. See if it comes on when you pull back on the switch. That will tell you if it's the switch or the pump.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

When you pull back on the stalk, do the wipers cycle?
As if they don't then your switch needs to be adjusted.

If they do then look to the pump.
My windshield washer doesn't work, when I pull the stalk the wipers don't come on even.

To resolve this issue try the following.

Look at your stalk assembly on the right. You will see a metal finger on the top and on the bottom

Take a small screw driver and place it on the back side of the lower metal finger, and bend it gently towards the rear of the car.

Now remove the screw driver and turn the key on, and pull the stalk...does it work? Yes you are done. No, bend it again....be gentle.
once you get the wipers to go the washer should follow. I have been known to leave the key on and bend it till it makes the connection, then remove and try the stalk.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Bugly

Post by Bugly »

All good info, tho I am still trying to get the cabby from the girl long enough to do something to it :? Since she got it back from getting a new fuel tank (another story all together) I have only seen the car in passing and in the garage when I am on my way to work. A high school senior this close to graduation is a hard person to slow down :banghead:
'89 cabby
'94 jet R.I.P.
'02 gti 1.8 turbo
'99 red jet IV
cwingerter

Post by cwingerter »

Well, Briano was right and the screwdriver in the steering column did the trick. And the new windshield wiper pump is super strong. Thanks for the help!
--89 White Cabriolet--aka the White Shadow
Bugly

Post by Bugly »

Thank you Brian, I had to go to the school and steal :eek: the cabby so that I could make sure it would pass inspection. I was able to try your screwdriver trick. With the screwdriver bending the tab the wipers & pump worked :thumbup: but when I took the screwdriver out and pulled back on the stalk, the wipers & pump would not work :rmad: So, I took a pair of needle nose and took the bow out of the tab and finally success :mrgreen: Now the wipers and pump work the way they were ment to :!:
'89 cabby
'94 jet R.I.P.
'02 gti 1.8 turbo
'99 red jet IV
Hoppy
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by Hoppy »

I think this thread is worthy of putting in the how-to section of Cabby info. btw thanks Brian.

John
John

1950 Beetle
1955 Beetle
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (Best Seller)
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Hoppy wrote:I think this thread is worthy of putting in the how-to section of Cabby info. btw thanks Brian.

John
Done. :thumbup: